Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Shanghai and stuff


(I think my photography skills are indeed improving)
Hi, it's me again. Sorry it's been a couple months (whoops). Life's been pretty crazy. I'll be back to posting pictures of baked goods with unholy amounts of butter in them soon I promise.

Crazy thing #1 - I recently went to Shanghai for music related reasons and it was really cool.

Shanghai is really a city of contrast. There are some of the tallest buildings in the world (pictured above), but smack in the middle of the city is 'old Shanghai', full of buildings built hundreds of years ago. Some buildings are in the traditional Chinese style, and some look like they belong in a major European city. There are Prada stores and Starbucks, but if you drive for five minutes you can find people living in shacks next to demolition sites.

My travelling friends and I were visiting on the generous invitation of the Chinese government. We played a bunch of concerts, and found that the local people really loved classical music, and were extremely enthusiastic audiences (much more so than I ever saw back home!). We also had lots of time to explore the city - here's some of the stuff I saw.
A really long street filled only with music stores


Good advice
A Buddhist temple built in 200 AD squashed next to skyscrapers
Crazy thing #2 - I am graduating soon (and related things)!!!

As soon as I got home from Shanghai, I had a lot of end of year/graduation things hitting me up the back of the head. I played in a bazillion concerts, wrote a harmony exam, went to provincials, and locked myself in a practice room for a while. School is almost done now, and I'm graduating very soon! I'm very excited for a summer of baking and fluting before university starts this fall!

Anywho, regularly scheduled programming should be returning soon as school is winding down.

Good luck on the final stretch to fellow highschoolers,

E

No comments:

Post a Comment