Sunday, June 22, 2014

FUTURE




Well, it looks like my high school career is very soon to end. Tomorrow is my last day of school, and the day after that I graduate.

By chance this afternoon while cleaning out my closet I stumbled on a letter I wrote to my future self at the beginning of grade nine. It was quite enlightening.

"Dear Future Self,

I'm fourteen this year. I have braces, I'm a flute player, and I opened a letter today from myself at age eleven. It was weird. She told me not to smoke. Duh. 

I'm wondering what I'll be like at age 17. Am I tall? Am I still into music? Do I have nice friends? Have I dated boooys?

What will I be? Will I have decided what to study? Have I gone to Paris? Did I go back to music camp?

I hope you made the right choices. I hope you're happy. Keep your head up, there's only one shot at life."

I thought I'd grace her with a response:

Dear past me,

I'm eighteen this year! I also have braces, but they're coming off next week (praise the lord almighty). I'm also a flute player, but I play piccolo and piano too! You'll be relieved to know that I don't smoke. Duh.

I guess I'm kind of tall now, 5'4'', not bad. I'm still very much into music. I have a bunch of lovely friends, some of whom I'll be very sad to be parting with soon.  I dated a booooy for a while. It was a good learning experience.

I don't really know who exactly I am at the moment, so I can't really answer that one. I've decided to study music education! I haven't gone to Paris, but I've been to Shanghai (which I've heard is one of the fashion capitols of Asia, so almost the same thing right?), and I've lived in Quebec! I did go back to music camp for one last summer in grade ten.

I hope I've made the right choices too, but I'm happy at the moment, so I think so! I hope that you'd be proud of me.

Love,
Future E

P.S. Please learn to use semicolons.

You know, I'll be sad to leave high school. But I think that letter was exactly what I needed to see today. Providence? I've grown a lot (more in a mental sense), and accomplished a lot in the last four years. Yeah, it's nostalgic to have to leave a place, and it's a little scary to think about the future, but things usually turn out. Just gotta keep that head up. Thanks 14 year old me.

Hope I don't trip on my gown on the way up the stairs!

E


No comments:

Post a Comment